Our Service

Compensation for criminal injury suffered abroad

Your Story - Your Experiences

Never too late to tell.
11/04/2019        Anonymous

Held at knifepoint at building society robbery
20/02/2019        Anonymous

1979 Rule – How is that fair or just?
21/08/2018        Anonymous

More stories

Criminal compensation for victims who suffer injury abroad in an EU state.

If you suffer injury or psychological harm as a result of a crime committed abroad in an EU country, you may be able to claim victim compensation.

EU countries have an agreement that allows victims of crime to be compensated in certain circumstances. We can help people apply for criminal injuries compensation from the EU country where the crime occurred.

We can help you to do this under European Union Council Directive 2004/80/EC. This directive compels member states to set up a compensation scheme that guarantees fair and appropriate compensation to victims of violent crime. The rules of each scheme will differ slightly from the UK Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme which is operated by the CICA. However the general principle is that those who are injured as a result of a crime abroad should be entitled to some form of recognition from the member state.

The forthcoming Brexit changes to UK membership of the EU will undoubtedly change things but until the break is complete the directive will be honoured by all member states.

If you have been the victim of a sexual assault or a violent assault whilst on holiday or living / working abroad – you may be able to make a claim for compensation.

The following countries currently allow for claims on behalf of UK residents:

  • Austria
  • Germany
  • Netherlands
  • Belgium
  • Greece
  • Poland
  • Bulgaria
  • Hungary
  • Portugal
  • Cyprus
  • Ireland
  • Romania
  • Czech Republic
  • Italy
  • Slovakia
  • Denmark
  • Latvia
  • Slovenia
  • Estonia
  • Lithuania
  • Spain
  • Finland
  • Luxembourg
  • Sweden
  • France
  • Malta

Call us to discuss your case today – 01423 593 002 or complete our enquiry form